Still I Rise … New Orleans Style

Written by and for New Orleans' Seniors
written by E. Fulton-Joseph acknowledging Maya Angelou and performed at the New Orleans Council On Aging Day of Observance

Out of the rebel of the City of New Orleans’ destruction … I RISE
Out of imaginary help of FEMA … I RISE
When all communications failed … I RISE
Making me last in line for help or aide … I RISE
Did you want to see me homeless and hungry?
Did you want to see me sick and hopeless?
Walking along the street, or living in the Superdome like crabs in a bucket
Being rescued and left to die on the Interstate for days
Bussing us like prisoners to locations unknown, like the water in our homes … I RISE

Just like the North Claiborne or St. Claude Avenue bridges … I RISE
Just like the flags we fly that don’t support us … WE RISE
Just like the hope, wishes, and dreams that floated away with out cries.
We enter a day of renewing that it wondrously clear,
Destroyed our families, friends, churches, neighborhoods, and our minds.
Did you want to see me broken?
Bowed head and lowered eyes?
You may trod me in the very dirt
But still like dust … I RISE
You can cut me with your eyes,
You can kill me with your words – especially not fulfilled
You can try to make me give up by working with ROAD HOME
You can shoot me with red tape and try to stop or discourage me from rebuilding
SBA loans for 30 years and I am nearly 80 years young
But still I hear … I WILL RISE

Out of the forgotten need to help and feeling of shame … I RISE
Some of the New Orleans’ bridges frequently in disrepair
Gas stations and supermarkets … so few in many neighborhoods
Traffic and street signs, many not replaced, others are homemade.
Convenience stores, drug stores, fast food restaurants slowly returning even after neighborhoods are populated.
Wal-Mart, hardware stores, department stores are far and in between
Feeling like some 3rd world country
BUT STILL WE RISE
WE RISE with hope and blest far above we can ask or think.
Satan tried to destroy our futures, families, hopes, and dreams.
But still WE RISE, WE RISE, WE RISE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment

 
© 2010 GOODNOLA.COM | ALL RIGHTS RESERVED | DESIGN BY SO GLOSSY