I've Always been a compulsive crafter.
Okay, let's see... I don't know what the NORMAL process for starting up something like this is, but I probably didn't do it that way. I've Always been a compulsive crafter. I will pick up just about anything and try to learn how to do it- soapmaking? French-wire beading? Candle-Dipping? Stationery design? All of those are things I do from time to time. I've been sewing since I was a kid, and my educational background is in Costume Design, so it figures that when I finally light on something that I can market, it would be some sort of stitchery.
The two things I mostly sell right now are accessories and scarves made with cloth Yo-Yos (fabric rosettes made popular in the 1930's) and weird little mutant stuffed sock monsters. I think the key to both of these for me is their portability and the fact that I can do it all sitting on the couch, thus justifying my TV-watching.Each one of them comes with a tag that has their name and some information about the creature. Not so much care and feeding, but something like, "SPLOGHM: If you're looking for something, Sploghm probably ate it. Sorry..." or, "Milo McFenderbender is a bit of a mystery. He hasn't said a word since he showed up at the lab. We'd be worried, but he seems perfectly content just observing the houseplants." It's really funny, the names and stories usually pop into my head within minutes of finishing the dolls, and there's no getting around it- I've tried to change names I didn't particularly like, and I can't do it- they just stick, you know?
Also, a lot of folks ask me about the name of the company, most folks who recognize it take it for a Buckaroo Banzai reference, and I do adore that movie, but actually I took it from Thomas Pynchon's novel, The Crying of Lot 49. I didn't do it to be particularly pretentious- I've always liked Pynchon, and he has a gift for some of the most outlandish character names ever, so that's my inspiration every time I come up with a name for a weird little creature. Also, the accessories and scarves are made from "Yo-Yo's," so there's the tie-in there.
I just really liked the dichotomy of the retro-futuristic-techno name, and the idea that this fictional rocket laboratory would have a "Stitchery Division," which would of course produce weird mutant (yet cute,) monsters. Makes all kinds of sense to me, but I just hope it's catchy.
New Orleans Creative Community
The creative community in New Orleans, also, is just fantastic. I know so many crafters, and I'm also a performer, so I'm in with the theatre community, and burlesque folks, the musicians- almost everybody I know does something creative. And I think this town really nurtures that. I guess one of the perverse benefits of living in a slightly depressed economy is that you have permission to be broke- there's no shame or embarrassment in it, and pursuing a creative career requires the ability to get by through the times when you're just broke. I mean, try being broke in Dallas or Atlanta sometime. You can't do it. Buy Yoyodyne Galactronics (Stitchery Division)
Facebook Page

1 comment:
Thanks, Shercole! Thanks for the great article. One teeny typo, in case folks want to search for me on Etsy: it's Yoyodyne (two O's- )
Much appreciated! (and apologies if this comment posts twice...)
-------------VR
Post a Comment