A little about Aura....
I grew up in Metairie and live in New Orleans. I've been in some form of acting since I was 12. I've dabbled in both television and radio production, but have fallen in love with audio journalism and podcasting since then. I produce and host backstage on the bayou, an arts and entertainment podcast with a New Orleans bent, in which I interview actors, musicians, performers, producers, and creators. I do this on my own time and my own dime. It's a true labor of love. I'm also the founder of Nola New Media.
Everywhere you turn there is art, music, and interesting peopleThere really is no other place like New Orleans. Everywhere you turn there is art, music, and interesting people. It's such a beautiful place. From the graceful decay of old buildings and worn brick, to the lush gardens and abundant greenery, to the cheerfully painted and well-maintained cottages, to the wry-humored signage posted everywhere, and of course being near some view of water no matter where you are - everything is a sight to take in. Even if you've seen everything a million times, there is always some little nuance to discover. You can do a lot of living on just a few dollars here. And the noise! I love it! Have you ever lived in other places? Most of them are very quiet. I find it hard to live without constant music and voices. New Orleans is so casual and yet complex. Maybe its complexity is part of what makes it so endearing.
New Media????
First, an explanation about new media: usually, the term refers to combining traditional forms of media with interactive technology. When you listen to a podcast or watch a web video, you can leave comments, click on included links, view tags, and even share the content with others by posting links or embedding the content on another site or blog.
Nola New Media
Nola New Media is a group for anyone interested in independent podcast and web series production in our area. We meet once a month. We also have a web site that serves as a landing page where you can find feed links to our members' content as well as articles and blog posts about new media and what some of our members are up to. The site will also soon start featuring some collaborative content created by our members. To better acquaint people with who we are and what we do, we plan to have three live multimedia events yearly. Our first one is in the works now. It should be a fun time.
Backstage on the Bayou is greatness! Tell us More....Thank you! Like I said earlier, Backstage on the bayou is truly a labor of love for me. The web site features posts of my podcasts, along with pictures and descriptions of the particular guests on that episode. I frequently post a "Video of the Week", some fun video I've come across that's either about New Orleans or is created by people in our area. I used to blog once a week. Maybe I'll start doing that again soon, but the main focus is around the pod cast. I've interviewed some really amazing people: Becky Allen, Chris Trew and Tami Nelson, Khris Royal, Sammie "Big Sam" Williams (who has been pretty awesome on Treme, no?) , bands like Glasgow! and The New Orleans Bingo Show, theatre actors, playwrights, indie film makers, and all-around interesting people.
Recently, The Upright Citizens Brigade,( the comedy group based out of New York City whose founders include SNL alum Amy Poehler) let me interview Gavin Speiller, one of the sketch comedy writers who contributed to creating the now-famous "BP Spills Coffee" video. I have some really exciting interviews in the works for the next few months, and I also started featuring segments from guest contributors. It's great to be able to talk to people about their craft and share it with others, especially when it's work that they're passionate it about.
Trailer Daze
I have done little bit of film and commercial work, but recently I've been interested in doing more theatre. I frequently work with Four Humors Theatre and Clove Productions. Right now, you can see me performing original monologues in Cordelia Was the Fool, a showcase of original, honest pieces by New Orleans ladies, Tuesday nights at The Allways Lounge in The Marigny. One of the monologues is titled "Trailer Daze", about some funny and awkward experiences I've had working on movie sets, and a second, about a poet in purgatory, is in the works. I'm also working on a poetry/performance art piece. I'm relatively new to seriously pursuing this kind of writing, so it's a great learning experience and very exciting to try something I've never tackled before.
What's Next?
I just had a birthday, and looking at what I've got in the pipeline now, this year ahead for me is all about using new media to create exciting things. I am in talks with two companies about contributing both podcast and video content - they each represent two very different aspects of the entertainment industry in the area, so it will be good to work on something fresh. I'm also in the early stages of creating some really fun contemporary updates to a classic form of old entertainment. I don't want to spill the beans too much, but some excellent local talent will be involved. I've been talking to a few people who are creating new podcasts and they will soon be added to the Nola New Media roster. The variety of subject matter and personalities is going to be enjoyable. but what's most exciting to me is the potential to have this community of people creating new web content.


No comments:
Post a Comment