COOLinary Summer

Just when you were beginning to think that there was nothing redeemable about the City of New Orleans in August, the restaurant-goer event of the year arrives: COOLinary Summer. COOLinary Summer is an event where participating New Orleans restaurants offer set menus for a fixed price. Usually this includes three courses, sometimes with specially-priced drinks. They offer two to three options per course, and many offer prix fixe menus for both lunch and dinner.  COOLinary Summer lasts from August 1- September 30 and I highly encourage everyone to take advantage of the menus that these restaurants have put together.


Some say that this is an opportunity for restaurants to pick up their businesses at a low-tourist time in New Orleans. While there is definitely truth to that, being an eternal optimist, I choose to see this event as much more advantageous to the consumer. Restaurants that participate in COOLinary Summer are not just your run-of-the-mill poboy shops that you could stop in on any time. Instead, they are often restaurants known for their fine dining. I look at this event as these restaurants giving something back to the locals by making the experience of dining at these restaurants affordable to an average joe.


I had just this opportunity this past Saturday when a friend and I had the pleasure of dining at Antoine’s in the French Quarter. For a measly $20.10, we had a lovely three course meal which featured 25 cent martinis at one of the oldest institutions in New Orleans.  Having heard about just how important Antoine’s is to the city of New Orleans for the zillionth time, I was becoming embarrassed by the fact that I had never been there. Now, because of COOLinary New Orleans, I can say that I have been to a restaurant that has been around since 1840, have taken a tour of its charming establishment, and eaten truly wonderful food at a very affordable price.

Please take advantage of this once-a-year summer event—you won’t be sorry you did! If there’s a restaurant you’ve been dying to go to that’s just a little out of your price range, see if it is participating in COOLinary Summer. For a list of participating restaurants check out: http://www.nomcvb.com/restaurants//listings/index.cfm/catId/2/sectionID/1/subsectionID/8/

Bon Appetite! 


No comments:

Post a Comment

 
© 2010 GOODNOLA.COM | ALL RIGHTS RESERVED | DESIGN BY SO GLOSSY