Lent Fasting: The Diet of Self-Discovery


I hope everyone had a fabulous Mardi Gras – from what I could hear outside (we live in the French Quarter) people really seemed to have been enjoying themselves.  This morning when I went to drop Aaron off at work, we saw people staggering about with drinks in their hands…I guess they don’t care that today is Ash Wednesday.  When the clock struck midnight, the start of Ash Wednesday and Lent descendant upon us.
Lent is the season before Easter, in the West lasting liturgically from Ash Wednesdayuntil the Mass of Holy Thursday. The evening of Holy Thursday begins the The Easter Triduum, which lasts from Holy Thursday to the Evening Prayer of Easter Day. However, Lenten fasting and penance continue until the end of Holy Week, and all of Holy Week is included in the traditional 40 day Lenten fast, despite Lent ending liturgically on Holy Thursday.

No comments:

Post a Comment

 
© 2010 GOODNOLA.COM | ALL RIGHTS RESERVED | DESIGN BY SO GLOSSY