Good Neighbors

I have no scientific proof but I’d venture to say that a stroll through a neighborhood in New Orleans happens more often than a stroll through any other neighborhood in most American cities.  I also believe that we have a higher concentration of dog owners than do most cities.  It’s also a great time to place your iPod on shuffle and go with the flow.  

My dog requires a minimum of two fairly long walks each day.  He turns one year old next week.  We have had many “only in New Orleans” experiences on our walks often running into celebrities both local and world wide.  Sometime last fall, we met Michael Stipe on Piety Street while Bootsy was relieving himself.  We witness random moments in the French Quarter on a weekly basis whether it be Dr. John playing Fats Domino tunes on the piano at the French Market Cafe or our friend Andrew who plays the drums on Decatur outside of the (recently closed) cigar shop.  

These walks are as wonderful for me as they are for Bootsy.  They symbolize one of the main reasons I live here.  Our way of life fits me like a glove.  I like conversing with the people I come in contact with.  I enjoy knowing my neighbors and chatting with them while on these strolls.  I’m always impressed when we come across someone who hasn’t seen us for a while and they always remember my dogs name.  I enjoy a small town life in the "Big Easy".

I always discover something new like a beautiful old building I must have passed one hundred times before.  During parade season, the sweet sounds of brass bands practicing hum through the air.  Sometimes we head into the French Quarter which is a perfect soundtrack for a walk.  There are many dog friendly bars offering treats to four legged friends.  I especially like staring into the windows along Royal Street when the shops are closed.  


There is really only one negative. Unfortunately, I have to be on high alert for other dog’s feces, chicken bones, plastic cups and other trash remnants.  And this is also true when riding my bicycle only add the potholes to the list.  Who are the people that do not pick up their waste?  Why do people insist on throwing their chicken bones all over the streets?  Seriously, let's narrow this type of person down so that we may all be aware and assist in breaking this behavior.  

This weekend as we passed the corner of Dauphine and St. Ferdinand in the Marigny, I noticed this simple sign that read “Be a good neighbor” and below it was a plastic bag filled with empty plastic bags and zip-tied to the pole.  Neighbors trying to offer a solution to eradicate pet waste from ever ending up on your shoe or as a snack for your dog.  Personally, I grab a few bags when I head out but I admire this solution.  If you have access to a bag you are more likely to use it, right?  This is good.



Good neighbors pick up their dog’s poo period.  Be a good neighbor!

Couldn’t the city benefit from the revenue generated from ticketing trash offenders?  I realize that this may tick off some tourists and locals alike but I believe that it would be a valuable tool in thwarting the dumping of ones trash onto the ground.  The city has done such an excellent job with the meter maid force that I honestly think jobs could be created for this and that the city could benefit greatly monetarily and visually.  It should be strictly enforced because it is obvious that people view it as “OK” to discard their waste onto the city streets.  And animal waste should count as an offense.  What do you think?

Shuffle This:
Don’t believe the hype - Public Enemy



1 comment:

Anonymous said...

let's push for it. Too often have I seen someone walk past a trash only to litter 3 feet from it. By the same token too often do I see city trash cans absolutely overflowing with garbage and in need of emptying.

Post a Comment

 
© 2010 GOODNOLA.COM | ALL RIGHTS RESERVED | DESIGN BY SO GLOSSY