Let me paint a picture for you: It’s about a minute until kickoff. You’re sitting around the television draped in black and gold getting pumped up for the game. Right when the music cues: BAM! Pictures of Katrina, a mention about how the city is rebuilding and someone that knows nothing about New Orleans talking about our city.
Photo courtesy of Black and Geauxld Photography
I don’t know about you but I deflate after that. It really grinds my gears. Can’t we just overlook all that stuff and play football? Must we be viewed as a charity case every time we play a game? I can only imagine some PR person in a staff meeting going “Hey for the New Orleans games let’s make sure we get some aerial shots of the Superdome during Katrina, put a plate of Crawfish Étouffée in the shot, and get some guys playing that Zydeco thing…..Oh and reference the Oil Spill at least twice”.
Here is my list of five things that New Orleanians don’t want to hear during a Saints Game:
5. The “Stand Up And Get Crunk” Song: If I hear that song one more time…I WILL SCREAM! Don’t get me wrong, I don’t mind the Ying Yang twins. The song brought us all the way to the Superbowl but who ordained that song to be our theme song for another season. They play it at the beginning/end of every game, at every commercial, even during field goals.
4. Catch Phrases That No One In The City Uses: Ever walked up to somebody and said: "Laissez Les Bon Temps Roulez", “Can I Get Some Lagniappe” or “Welcome To The Big Easy”? Yea me neither.
3. Leave Reggie Alone: Bad enough that he lost Kim Kardashian and that his Heisman trophy is going away but why are we still trying to compare USC Reggie Bush to NFL veteran Reggie Bush. You can’t compare the two regardless of how explosive he was in college. I’ll leave you with this. Even after all this time, what happens every single time Bush gets the ball? We hold our breath and rise up in our chair a little because every Saints fan knows that all he needs is a little daylight.
2. We “Deserve” Something Because Of Katrina: I’ve heard several times that we “deserved” to win this game or that game or even the Superbowl because of Katrina. I nearly lose it. I have to refrain myself from pitching something at my T.V. at least twice during a game.
1. Katrina Photos, Slideshows, & Montages: 1 million + people probably have post traumatic stress from the events in Aug 2005. Do we really need those emotions to flood back into our minds of a messed up Superdome, the family on the roof, or the military roaming our streets? Say it with me…Let it goooooooooo.
Thanks for listening to my rant. If you think I’m kidding, play the “take a shot every time they mention one of these things” game and watch how drunk you’ll be in the first quarter.
Join me on Twitter at twitter.com/chrisboudy throughout the entire game to discuss Saints football and talk trash.


4 comments:
LOVE IT!!! Preach!
Laissez Les Bon Temps Roulez, y'heard?
This is hilarious and SO true! I was thinking some of those very things watching the game last night
Thanks for comments everyone! Hopefully somebody gets the memo
Post a Comment